James Samuel Bell
James S. Bell is a trial attorney with extensive experience nationwide representing business clients, defendants, and victims of complex personal injuries, including catastrophic injury matters. He is well known for his ability to receive large compensation packages for his clients that include significant relief for his clients’ injuries and rehabilitative services. James fights to repair his clients’ injuries—physically, emotionally, and financially. Clients seek out James’ services because he (1) is passionate about his work, (2) has an impeccable success record of achieving the highest verdict and settlement amounts, and (3) treats every client as an individual person equally deserving of justice.
James has been recognized and acclaimed by multiple publications for his ground-breaking verdicts. For instance, in 2017, James was named by The National Law Journal as an Elite Trial Lawyer for obtaining the top verdict in the nation. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer; Best Personal Injury Attorney; and Best Family Law Attorney. He has also received Top Verdict and Top 100 Verdicts awards.
James has served as an instructor for Trial Lawyer courses and regularly delivers keynote addresses across the nation on his innovative tactics regarding voir dire, opening statement, cross-examination, and damages. He has also served as a Panelist and Speaker at the Advanced Family Law Seminar 2009 and has been a visiting associate judge for the 302nd District Family Court in Dallas, Texas.
James received in undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas and had the acclaim of graduating with honors. His superior academic achievements and leadership have won him various prestigious scholarships such as the Southern Methodist University Scholarship, James Holland Scholarship, W.R. Nicholson Scholarship, and the Southern Methodist University Student Senate Scholarship. James received his law degree from Southern Methodist University and graduated cum laude. At law school, James was an ardent participant in the Southern Methodist University Criminal Defense Clinic where he zealously represented indigent defendants who were charged with serious crimes. Representing his clients at the clinic gave James the privilege of first practicing in court and going to trial.
James has been admitted to courts in the State of Texas, California, and New York, the U.S. Tax Court, and the United States Supreme Court. He is further admitted to the following federal courts: United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Central District of California; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas; U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas; and, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Selected examples of cases from James’ trial experience is given below:
- James represented beneficiaries and estate in a fraud and breach of fiduciary duty case against JPMorgan Chase Bank and obtained over $6,000,000,000—$6 billion—in a ground-breaking verdict that won James the title of achieving the largest verdict in the nation in 2017 and the ninth largest in the history of the United States.
- James successfully defended a company in a fraud investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and FBI. The case resulted in no civil liability and no criminal liability.
- James successfully defended a physician in a fraud investigation brought by the DOJ and FBI. His client was able to keep his medical license and the case resulted in no civil liability or criminal liability.
- James served as lead counsel for a major law firm and its managing partner in a $1 million fraud and defamation case. The case settled for $5,000 immediately before opening statement.
- James served as lead trial counsel in a case involving a $50,000,000 dispute and obtained summary judgments and resolved the dispute in favor of his client.
- James served as lead counsel for a surgeon against former partners for breach of fiduciary duty and successfully obtained a $1,100,000 cash settlement.
- James successfully defended a car dealership in an investigation brought by the DOJ, FBI, and the Criminal Investigation Division of the IRS. The case resulted in no civil and no criminal liability.
- James served as lead counsel in a publicized grand jury investigation that involved an elected judge. The case resulted in no indictments for his clients during the representation.
- James represented a CEO in a criminal real estate fraud investigation and the case resulted in no indictment.
Have you been injured?
Don’t delay. Learn about your rights.